[gmx-developers] Problems with artificial minima when using soft-core potentials

Bert de Groot bgroot at gwdg.de
Mon Sep 3 19:08:12 CEST 2012

Dear Alan,

thank you for bringing this up.

Just to put a few things straight:
-the first thing we tried when running into softcore instabilities was to adopt
the Beutler approach with separate alpha values for the LJ and Coulombic
interactions. This indeed helps to a certain extent (as does Berk's fix for
hydrogens). However, both approaches still lead to additional minima at
intermediate lambda values for certain atom types, which cannot be avoided by
any choice of separate alpha values for LJ and Coulomb interactions (or at least
not for any combination we tried). We explore this in Fig S4 of our paper. The
artificial minima particularly occur when using fast-growth methods and
frequently involved . Unfortunately the effect can easily remain unnoticed and
therefore lead to inaccurate free energy estimates. This issue is solved in our
softcore approach.
It may be that the systematic approach by Steinbrecher and Case mentioned by
Michael Shirts yields suitable alpha values for the original Beutler softcore
also in the cases that we found to be problematic. This would be interesting to
test.

-you mention that the potential has a discontinuity at r=0 in our approach,
which may lead to potentially unstable dynamics. This is not the case. Only the
force is discontinuous (just like the hardcore LJ and Coulomb forces are
discontinuous at r=0). This does not lead to unstable dynamics. In addition,
also the discontinuous force is not an issue, simply because r=0 is never
reached. This holds in the hardcore case as well as in our case. Now one could
argue that with a softcore potential r=0 might be more easily reached than in
the hardcore case, because of a lower enthalpic cost. This is indeed true, but
as we explore in section S4 of our paper, even in single precision the
probability to hit r=0 is negligible for all practical purposes, not only for
enthalpic but particularly for entropic reasons.

Our softcore implementation is currently obtainable as patch for gromacs 4.0.7,
and will soon (when we're done testing) be available for 4.5 and commited to git
for future gromacs releases (4.6 or master).

best regards,

Bert

Prof. Bert de Groot, Ph.D.

Computational biomolecular dynamics group
Am Fassberg 11
37077 Goettingen, Germany

tel: +49-551-2012308, fax: +49-551-2012302
http://www.mpibpc.mpg.de/groups/de_groot