[gmx-developers] Intermolecular parameters for graphene

Bogdan Costescu bcostescu at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 06:58:06 CET 2014

Hi Alex,

I'm one of the authors of the article mentioned by Gerrit. As you also
observe, there is no easy way of combining graphene and biological
compounds, each community has its own tools which only covers a part of the
possible applications. F.e. we were interested in mechanical properties, so
our FF tries to reproduce existing experimental data, but ignores
electrostatics... although electrostatics are of great importance in
biological molecular systems which often carry partial charges. To my
knowledge (which is likely already obsolete due to the high pace of
research related to graphene and CNTs), there isn't a FF which
comprehensively reproduces all kinds of physical and chemical properties of
these compounds. We mention specifically in the article that our FF makes
compromises in order to keep a simple functional form and be fast, which is
a must for any FF that hopes to be used for simulations on biological time
scales. In particular when used in GROMACS which is fast by default :-)

I beg to disagree with your statement on the Morse potential: it is present
in GROMACS for a long time, although no FF for biological compounds use it
at the moment. We also chose it because it is a pairwise potential, making
it simple to integrate in other (bio oriented) simulation packages like
CHARMM.

In my opinion, the integration of a graphene/CNT FF in GROMACS is a
multidimensional problem, having to consider the speed, the ease of
implementation, the compatibility to existing (bio) FFs, as well as the
ability of reproducing experimental data. Sadly the great majority of the
(many) graphene/CNT FFs ignores the first two or three aspects, making them
a poor choice for this task... How do the proposed FFs fare in these
directions?

Cheers,
Bogdan