[gmx-developers] updating GROMACS contributor lists

Erik Lindahl erik.lindahl at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 10:17:16 CET 2021

Hi,

I'm normally the one most pushing for the importance of sharing credit, but
the problem is that as the information & author-list have grown we're
writing so much information that the "printing" rather means the names will
fly by in a terminal window and immediately be hidden within 0.05s again -
few if any normal users are going to read a screen full of information just
because we write them many times.

However, I think I have a better solution :-)

Already a long time ago I had the idea that we should create a page to
feature developers (old & new ones) on a web page with a picture, short
description of their background/expertise, and what they are working on
(both in Gromacs and outside). Then we could also feature a random
developer on the first page of a better-looking www.gromacs.org every time
you load the website.

Cheers,

Erik

On Wed, Dec 15, 2021 at 10:10 AM Joe Jordan <e.jjordan12 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I made this comment on the MR, but I will make it here because I think it
> is important.
>
> Perhaps it is just me being selfish, but I would like it if the current
> developers would still be printed with every invocation of the gmx binary,
> unless the -q flag is given. I think it is important that people who
> contribute get some actual visibility instead of just having a name in a
> file somewhere that no one reads.
>
> On Wed, Dec 15, 2021 at 12:32 AM Mark Abraham <mark.j.abraham at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Thanks to those who've gotten in touch - I've updated the names
>> accordingly.
>>
>> Meanwhile, the proposal surfaced that we should also make the tools less
>> talkative and follow the conventional pattern of using an AUTHORS file
>> fully, so https://gitlab.com/gromacs/gromacs/-/merge_requests/2327 may
>> supersede the above linked MR. Do let your thoughts be known!
>>
>> I also used ASCII characters to spell people's names correctly where
>> possible. Do let me know if I missed anything I can do (sorry Vedran, I
>> couldn't do your surname properly!)
>>
>> Mark
>>
>> On Mon, 13 Dec 2021 at 14:18, Mark Abraham <mark.j.abraham at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> We want people's efforts to be visible, so we need to update the lists
>>> of who has contributed to the GROMACS project. The contributor list is now
>>> getting quite long (great!) so we think it's a good idea to split it into
>>> those who've been active in the last year or so.
>>>
>>> It's fairly easy to see who's made code contributions to the main repo,
>>> but there are many other kinds of contributions useful to GROMACS users
>>> that we want to recognize also. For example, docs, testing, tutorials,
>>> forum participation, workshop organization. Please check out the MR below
>>> and if you see a name missing or in the wrong place, please get in touch!
>>>
>>> https://gitlab.com/gromacs/gromacs/-/merge_requests/2308
>>>
>>> Mark

>> * Please search the archive at
>> http://www.gromacs.org/Support/Mailing_Lists/GMX-developers_List before
>> posting!

>> * For (un)subscribe requests visit
>> https://maillist.sys.kth.se/mailman/listinfo/gromacs.org_gmx-developers
>> or send a mail to gmx-developers-request at gromacs.org.

> * Please search the archive at
> posting!

Erik Lindahl <erik.lindahl at dbb.su.se>
Professor of Biophysics, Dept. Biochemistry & Biophysics, Stockholm
University
Science for Life Laboratory, Box 1031, 17121 Solna, Sweden

Note: I frequently do email outside office hours because it is a convenient
time for me to write, but please do not interpret that as an expectation
for you to respond outside your work hours.