[gmx-users] binary distro for platforms other than linux?

Anton Feenstra feenstra at chem.vu.nl
Tue Mar 5 13:57:46 CET 2002

Erik Lindahl wrote:

> That would be a splendid idea. I just have to think of a way we can doing it without
> having a completely open upload area that would be filled with warez & pornography
> instead ;-)
>
> Maybe I could create a more-or-less public ftp account with a password that we mail to
> anyone who's interested in contributing...

As I said before, sounds like a great idea. It would be good, however,
to suggest a very verbose naming scheme, like we have for the arch.
dependent directories and stuff, so that it's immediately clear to
users what they are downloading.

Also to get around the 'open ftp portal' problem, maybe we could have
separate upload and download areas, so that some of us should review
the uploaded files briefly, discard any rubbish and possibly impose
some systematic naming scheme, and move things to the download area.
But that would add to the general developers overhead...

The question also is, even given the best intentions of all users, if
the site wouldn't get polluted quickly with mis-named or mis configured
files, which wouldn't make sense to or be useless to others...

--
Groetjes,

Anton
 ________ ___________________________________________________________
|        | Anton Feenstra                                            |
| .      | Dept. of Pharmacochemistry - Free University Amsterdam    |
| |----  | De Boelelaan 1083 - 1081 HV Amsterdam - The Netherlands   |
| |----  | Tel: +31 20 44 47608 - Fax: +31 20 44 47610               |
| ' __   | Feenstra at chem.vu.nl - http://www.chem.vu.nl/afdelingen/FAR|
| (    ) | Dept. of Biophysical Chemistry - University of Groningen  |
|  \__/  | Nijenborgh 4 - 9747 AG Groningen - The Netherlands        |
|   __   | Tel +31 50 363 4327 - Fax +31 50 363 4800                 |
|  /  \  | K.A.Feenstra at chem.rug.nl - http://md.chem.rug.nl/~anton   |
|  \__/  | "I'm Gonna Get Medieval On Your Ass" (Pulp Fiction)       |