[gmx-users] PME accuracy

Erik Lindahl lindahl at stanford.edu
Wed May 7 22:58:00 CEST 2003

On Wednesday, May 7, 2003, at 13:45 America/Los_Angeles, Jason
DeJoannis wrote:

> I think you mean the other way around. In other
> words alpha (the Ewald parameter) is chosen from:
>
>   ewald_rtol  = erfc(alpha*rcoulomb)

Yep, that's what I meant :-)

> The manual was kind of vague about that. For Ewald
> simulations it would be more useful to select alpha from
> the condition that the real-space and Fourier-space
> have the same level of error... but as most people
> use PME that's just a detail.

That would be great, but as far as I know, that is not easy (possible?)
to calculate for smooth PME with arbitrary systems and triclininc
boxes! If you have any good suggestions (even approximate), send me a
pointer to it and we'll see what happens :-)

Cheers,

Erik