[gmx-users] How about gmx-forum?

David spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Sat Jan 10 16:25:01 CET 2004

On Sat, 2004-01-10 at 16:02, Semen Esilevsky wrote:
> > The advantage is that you have all the information
> > directly in a
> > "readable" format in your web browser, in particular
> > when you have an
>
> In addition there are threads, which make the browsing
> simple and effective. And there is a possibility to
> recieve only the messages from selected threads and
> categories - no need to read 100 subjects...
The average is 10-15 messages a day... Of course you can browse the
archives on the website. Maybe the mailing list software can be
configured such that you can browse through the archives and then click
on a message in order to reply to it (you will still need to be
subscribed to the list of course, in order to prevent spam etc.)

> >The disadvantage is that  it
> > takes more effort
> > to go to the forum, and as a result people don't do
> > it...
>
> It depends. For example our institution doesn't
> provide POP3 mail boxes. All mail is essentially
> web-based and brousing through the mailing list is
> simply a pain!
> I understand that UNIX people used to use mailing
> lists, but they seems to be erm... slightly outdated
> now.
Hm, strange reasoning... Web based mail is a pain, but mailing lists,
which you can conveniently sort directly into different folders with a
modern mail reader like Evolution, are outdated? You'd better give your
instution some shit for not providing normal e-mail facilities...

--
David.
David van der Spoel, PhD, Assist. Prof., Molecular Biophysics group,