[gmx-users] lam-mpi question

Oliver Beckstein oliver at biop.ox.ac.uk
Sun Jul 18 14:44:14 CEST 2004

Hi Andrei,

looks to me that the bin directory where hboot, tkill etc live are not in
a standard place. According to ssh(1) ssh sets PATH to a compiled-in
default when it executes on a remote machine. I think it contains
/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin --- but you can test for yourself by saying
something like

  echo 'echo ${PATH}; env' | ssh HOST

(env shows the complete environment). I can think of three ways to solve
your problem (in decreasing order of 'quick'n'dirty-ness'):
1) symlink the lam binaries into /usr/local/bin
2) set PATH in ~/.ssh/environment
   (see 'man ssh')
3) set LAMHOME (also ~/.ssh/environment)

Come to think, (1) and (2) might actually not work unless the lam binaries
'know' where they can find their help file and you might have to set
LAMHOME=/path/to/the/LAM-MPI-directory anyway.

If you compiled lam from source and gave the final directory on your mini
cluster as --prefix to ./configure then LAMHOME should not be necesseray.

oli

Oliver Beckstein * oliver at biop.ox.ac.uk
 http://sansom.biop.ox.ac.uk/oliver/