[gmx-users] molecular dynamics problems

Anton Feenstra feenstra at chem.vu.nl
Wed Jul 21 17:31:36 CEST 2004

Xavier Periole wrote:
>> When I measured the temp. of the solute molecule (only 41 atoms from 4850
>> of the whole system)it was even lower then solvent temp., which led me to
>> belive that I have a 'hot solvent, cold solute situation' From your
>> experience what is the normal variation of local temp.(compared to total
>> temp.) in a well behaved simulation?
>>
> A solvent at 200 K and a solute at <200K and the full system 300K !!!!
> Something is definitely wrong.

The number of degrees of freedom (nrdf) come into calculating the temperature.
E.g., for one constraint per atom (i.e., bond-length), you remove one of its
three degrees of freedom. Taking that into accoount, that will change the
temperature by 3/2, and would raise 200K to 300K.

I would not be surprised if in the calculation of the system temp, nrdf
*is* taken into account, but not for the 'local' temp. It may be a
feature (if it does what it sais in the manual, I don't know that), or
else it is a bug.

--
Groetjes,

Anton
|             | "If You See Me Getting High, Knock Me Down"           |
|             | (Red Hot Chili Peppers)                               |