[gmx-users] molecular dynamics problems

vlad.chindea at pharmatech.ro vlad.chindea at pharmatech.ro
Thu Jul 22 12:45:50 CEST 2004

Dear Anton

Thanks for giving me a new perspective on my problem. Until now I was
clueless about what was happening and that disturbed me a lot. So if I get
it rigth T = 2*Ekin/k*(3N-Nc) and considering that I have SHAKEd 3200
hydrogens, from the total of 3*4800 degrees of freedom = 14400 it leaved
me with only 11200 dof, and 11200/14400=0,77 wich from 300k means 230K,
the rest being probably from not enough equilibrated system.

BTW in your opinion how much will deviate local temp. in a good simulation
from overall temp. ? 5-10K maybe ?

Looking in Sybyl's manual I see that they calculate so: T=
2k*Ekin/(3N-Nc-3),and nothing is told about local temp.BTW I hope that
Boltzman's k is misplaced only in the text books and not in the algorithm
:-).

I will pass this hint to Sybyl developers, until now they were a little
slughish in there response.

Many thanks and best regards
Vlad chindea