[gmx-users] Opteron-Bug

Erik Lindahl lindahl at csb.stanford.edu
Sat Mar 20 00:39:01 CET 2004

Hi Thomas,

Just to confirm what David said - yes, there was a hardware issue with
all recent AMD processors, including Opterons.

I have worked around this in the code starting with 3.2.1, but since
I'm partly under NDA with AMD (which they still haven't released me
from) unfortunately I cannot comment on exactly what the bug is. If I
understand it correct they are still trying to find a software fix.

I cannot prevent you from running a diff on different versions of
x86_sse.s though :-)

Compilers really don't use the parallel SSE instructions at all, they
just work on one element in all cases I've seen. And, apart from
Gromacs the only SSE-tuned programs I've seen are simple things like
video encoding and BLAS that always go through memory in a nice linear
way. Those won't be affected by the it.

I wouldn't worry about going with Opterons because of this - all CPUs
have errata, including Intel ones...

Cheers,

Erik