[gmx-users] nucleic acid PDB input files

Ken Rotondi ksr at chemistry.umass.edu
Tue Mar 1 15:21:12 CET 2005

Cameron,

As Andrey said, you are missing the information from your ff.hdb file.
Easy to fix.

Go to whatever ff.itp file you are using and look up the hydrogens
associated with the nucleotides in your structure. (you know that your
forcefield includes these nucleotides since the warning is that a known
residue, DGUA, is missing something)
I'll bet based upon the warning that you're using one of the gromos
united atom forcefields, so only the three polar hydrogens need to be
defined for DGUA.

Sketch the structure of DGUA on a piece of paper and name all the atoms
using the names from the ff.itp file.

Identify the hydrogens that are named in the forcefield (i.e. H21, H22
and H1) and go to section 5.5.2 of the gromacs manual. Using the naming
rules there add entries into the appropriate ff.hdb file. For DGUA it
would look like:

DGUA	2
		2	3	N2	C2	N1
		1	1	N1	C6	C4

When you read 5.5.2 this will make sense and you can do the same for
the other nucleotides in your molecule.

Have fun,

Ken

PS. always ALWAYS check anything that a stranger gives you. I
extrapolated the DGUA .hdb entry above from and RNA GUA .hdb entry I
worked out. I'm (nearly) sure that the naming convention in the atoms
in the bases would not change, but I don't know that. So checking that
entry would be a great way to start.