[gmx-users] Problem with "configure"; Athlon64_fedora Core3

olivier Walker olivier at hikari.cpe.fr
Tue Mar 8 16:47:34 CET 2005

Florian Haberl wrote:

>Hi,
>

>>I'm trying to install Gromacs on a "AMD64" machine running fedora core3,
>>but the configure file generates errors related with fftw (I think)
>>
>>[root at irai gromacs-3.2.1]# ./configure --disable-float
>>--enable-type-prefix=/usr/local/include
>>checking build system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
>>checking host system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
>>checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
>>checking whether build environment is sane... yes
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>checking for fseeko... yes
>>checking for sqrt in -lm... yes
>>checking for dfftw.h... no
>>checking for fftw.h... yes
>>checking for main in -lfftw... no
>>configure: error: Can't find a library to match the fftw header
>>
>>I previously installed the rpm package for fftw (being root) and I've to
>>say I had no problem installing it on other 32 bits machines running
>>mdk10.0.
>>
>>Do you have any idea of what I did wrong?
>>

>Always best thing:
>
>Compile all on your machine also fftw, maybe rpm paket of fftw is 32 bit and
>not 64 bit as gromacs (which identify your cpu as a 64 bit machine) will not
>work together
>
>Follow howto on http://www.gromacs.org/installation/prerequisites.php
>

>Greetings,
>
>Florian

> Florian Haberl                            Universitaet Erlangen/
> Computer-Chemie-Centrum    Nuernberg
>                                                      Naegelsbachstr. 25
>                                                      D-91052 Erlangen
>  Mailto: florian.haberl AT chemie.uni-erlangen.de

That's what I did when I saw rpm files didn't work, but installing fftw
also generates errors !!!!

checking whether ln -s works... (cached) yes
checking host system type... Invalid configuration
`x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu': machine `x86_64-unknown' not recognized
checking build system type... Invalid configuration
`x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu': machine `x86_64-unknown' not recognized
checking for ld used by GCC... (cached) /usr/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... (cached) yes
checking for BSD-compatible nm... (cached) /usr/bin/nm -B
ltconfig: you must specify a host type if you use `--no-verify'
Try `ltconfig --help' for more information.
configure: error: libtool configure failed

Olivier