[gmx-users] total charge

Anton Feenstra feenstra at few.vu.nl
Tue May 3 19:23:04 CEST 2005

Lei Zhou wrote:

> Dear gmx-users,
>
> I am doing a simulation with a small molecule (20 atoms), which
> carries a net charge of -1. To calculate the solvation energy, I need
> to simulate the molecule in water. To get a good estimate
> of the electrostatic interaction between that molecule and water,
> should I do the MD without counter ions added? If I add counter ions
> to neutralize the system, will those ions affect the final result
> (they will interact with the molecule) ? I am using a cutoff of 0.9
> and PME for electrostatic treatment.

In principle your system should be neutral, in practice it may not be
critical. It would be interesting if you had salt-concentration
dependent experimental solvation energies, and do the full comparison. ;-)

--
Groetjes,

Anton

* NOTE: New Phone & Fax numbers (below) *

| \_/ \_/ | | | Tel: +31 20 59 87608 - Fax: +31 20 59 87610           |
|             | Feenstra at few.vu.nl - www.few.vu.nl/~feenstra/         |
|             | "If You See Me Getting High, Knock Me Down" (RHCP)    |