[gmx-users] system is bigger but box remains

Tsjerk Wassenaar tsjerkw at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 12:29:49 CEST 2005

Hi Taveechai,

Try centering your K at the center of the box rather than the origin. And
read a bit on periodic boundary conditions.

Cheers,

Tsjerk

On 9/9/05, taveechai taveecharoenkool <taweehui at yahoo.com> wrote:

> dear all,
> i have a system of six protein-monomers in popc
> bilayers, there is a pore inside this hexamers. i want
> to study the free energy difference of K in the pore
> between mutant and wild-type of this hexamer. i put K
> at center of the pore 0 0 0. Then , perform energy
> minimization by steepest descent, and cg. However,
> after energy minimization , the system is bigger , the
> box vector the same . Then i look at the structure by
> RasMol the system looks weird. the pore doesn't appear
> , the proteins went to the corners of the box,
> bilayers of popc also disappear, water in the middle
> of popc layer. i remove pbc out using ' editconf -pbc
> ' , but the system still look the same.
> please help me , i just want to get K ion in the local
> minimum of this pore.
> system size : 13.360 16.203 14.029 (nm)
> center : 5.301 5.903 5.029 (nm)
> box vectors : 10.803 11.910 11.177 (nm)
> this is mdp file:
> ; VARIOUS PREPROCESSING OPTIONS =
> title =
> cpp = /lib/cpp
> include =
> define =
>
> ; RUN CONTROL PARAMETERS =
> integrator = steep
> ; start time and timestep in ps =
> tinit = 0
> dt = 0.0002
> nsteps = 50000
> ; = 100 ps REMARK
> ; number of steps for center of mass motion removal =
> nstcomm = 1
>
> ; LANGEVIN DYNAMICS OPTIONS =
> ; Temperature, friction coefficient (amu/ps) and
> random seed =
> bd-temp = 300
> bd-fric = 0
> ld-seed = 1993
>
> ; ENERGY MINIMIZATION OPTIONS =
> ; Force tolerance and initial step-size =
> emtol = 1
> emstep = 0.01
> ; Max number of iterations in relax_shells =
> niter = 0
> ; Frequency of steepest descents steps when doing CG =
>
> nstcgsteep = 1000
> ; OUTPUT CONTROL OPTIONS =
> ; Output frequency for coords (x), velocities (v) and
> forces (f) =
> nstxout = 1000
> nstvout = 1000
> nstfout = 0
> ; Output frequency for energies to log file and energy
> file =
> nstlog = 1000
> nstenergy = 1000
> ; Output frequency and precision for xtc file =
> nstxtcout = 1000
> xtc-precision = 1000
> ; This selects the subset of atoms for the xtc file.
> You can =
> ; select multiple groups. By default all atoms will be
> written. =
> xtc-grps =
> ; Selection of energy groups =
> energygrps = Protein POPC SOL K
>
> ; NEIGHBORSEARCHING PARAMETERS =
> ; nblist update frequency =
> [...]

Tsjerk A. Wassenaar, M.Sc.
Groningen Biomolecular Sciencesand Biotechnology Institute (GBB)
Dept. of Biophysical Chemistry
University of Groningen
Nijenborgh 4
9747AG Groningen, The Netherlands