[gmx-users] separating bilayer leaflets - POPC vs. DMPC and DPPC

David spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Sat Sep 10 22:32:24 CEST 2005

On Sat, 2005-09-10 at 15:07 -0500, Eric Jakobsson wrote:
> Has anybody implemented and reported on how to do an inhomogenous
> dispersion correction?  We thought about that but could not arrive at an
> algorithm that seemed worth investing a lot of human and computer time in
> trying.
For a membrane using PBC one could conceive a dispersion correction the
varies with the Z-axis (perpendicular to the membrane). That is, in the
Z-direction it would be constant, but the value parallel to the membrane
would vary along the Z-axis. On the other hand it is only important for
the pressure and since that is a global variable it doesn't matter.

For non periodic systems it has been used, e.g. Wensink et al. Langmuir
16 (2000) p. 7392, there a constant force in one direction was applied
to all particles.