[gmx-users] pointer errors when compiling parallel mdrun with intel compiler

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Wed Oct 4 10:17:09 CEST 2006

Lubos Vrbka wrote:
> hi guys,
>
> would please anybody suggest how to solve the following problem? i am
> really hopeless... single processor version compiled without any
> problems. for both, i use intel compiler version 9.1.

It looks like it is enforcing a more pedantic C dialect. You will be
able to turn these types of error messages off en masse.

> thank you in advance for any hints. i personally don't see any problem
> in assigning pointer to void to pointer to some other type, but it seems
> that this compiler has another attitude :( unfortunately i cannot use
> anything else and need to get gromacs running.

As you realise, objecting here is just a higher level of pedanticism.
They appear to be non-fatal errors, as you'd hope.

> interestingly, it doesn't stop here and goes on, where it stops completely:
>
>  mpiFCC -compiler intel -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../../src
> -I/usr/X11R6/include -I../../include
> -DGMXLIBDIR=\"/home/users/se7/software/gromacs-3.3.1/share/top\"
> -I/home/users/se7/software/fftw/include -mp -DANSI
> -I/usr/local/vni/imsl/cnl600/itanium/include -MT constr.lo -MD -MP -MF
> .deps/constr.Tpo -c constr.c -o constr.o
> constr.c(154): error: a value of type "void *" cannot be assigned to an
> entity of type "int *"
>         snew(owptr,nsettle);
>         ^

snew is a macro defined in include/smalloc.h where you'll see the reason
for the error - (void *) save_calloc is called and the return value
assigned to the first parameter. A RHS typecast would fix this, but you
can't make that work in the macro, so again I suggest finding a way to
turn off this error.