[gmx-users] soft-core potential in combination with PME (sorry, again)

Jeroen van Bemmelen J.J.M.vanBemmelen at tnw.tudelft.nl
Thu Apr 12 12:38:56 CEST 2007

Hi Berk (and others),

Thanks a lot for your quick answer. And sorry to bother you again
with this long email, but I still feel I'm missing something really
essential here.

I agree that in essence the convergence and the singularity are two
different problems. And if I understand you correctly, my first
conclusion (that it's completely fine to use soft-core together with
PME, that it takes care of the singularity problem, both for the VDW
and the electrostatic part at the same time, and that it does not
lead to additional problems) was right. So numerical instabilities
(simulation crash) during free energy calculations resulting from
singularities (overlapping atoms) should not be an issue with ANY
type of electrostatics method in GROMACS (even PME), just as long as
you use the soft-core potential.

But in that case I really don't understand why Anwar claims in his
aforementioned paper that the electrostatics singularity problem is
only solved by the standard soft-core potential for the simple
truncation and reaction field schemes, and not for PME. And why David
Mobley mentions numerical instabilities caused by "charge-charge
overlap" (e.g. in http://www.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-users/2006-
March/020785.html and other mails) while using soft-core. Are the
mentioned numerical instabilities (simulation blowing up) resulting
from charge overlap not a direct consequence of the singularity at
r=0? And is the soft-core potential not supposed to take care of
exactly THIS problem, by effectively limiting the forces as r-->0? At
least that's how I understand it from the Beutler paper and from the
manual.

So I guess somebody is wrong here, most likely I myself, and I hope
you or someone else can clarify this a bit further.

Thanks,
Jeroen