[gmx-users] soft-core potential in combination with PME

Jeroen van Bemmelen J.J.M.vanBemmelen at tnw.tudelft.nl
Tue Apr 17 20:16:05 CEST 2007

Hi David and all,

Tanks for your elaboration on the subject. I've done a couple of free
energy simulations myself, also on disappearing charged atoms, but so
far I've not yet encountered any of the instability problems you
mention here (though I did encounter instabilities at high lamda
values, caused by the flying ice cube problem). Your problem could
very well be related to the force field, since I'm using G53a6 and
you're probably using OPLS. Maybe the extra hydrogens are causing
your troubles?

I agree with you that the ideal soft-core parameters for decoupling
LJ may not be so ideal for decoupling Coulomb, and that this can lead
to convergence problems and wrong free energy results. In that case a
separate decoupling of LJ and Coulomb forces in fact may be the best
answer.

Actually at first glance I found the Anwar paper to be quite
interesting in this respect, because it uses a different functional
form for damping the short-range Coulomb force when using PME, that
specifically 'fits' the Ewald real-space term. And indeed it gives
you an additional parameter (aqq) for separately tuning the Coulomb
soft-core potential. But since the standard GROMACS soft-core should
also remove the singularity and since I haven't had any convergence
issues up till now (or maybe I'm just simulating too long ;-) ), I
guess I don't need Anwar's method.

Btw, David, are you still interested in feedback on your free energy
tutorial, or do you consider that project finished? I used it as a
starting point for my simulations and may have some interesting
remarks and/or suggestions.

Greetings,
Jeroen