[gmx-users] soft-core potential in combination with PME

David Mobley dmobley at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 21:01:13 CEST 2007

Hi,

> Tanks for your elaboration on the subject. I've done a couple of free
> energy simulations myself, also on disappearing charged atoms, but so
> far I've not yet encountered any of the instability problems you
> mention here (though I did encounter instabilities at high lamda
> values, caused by the flying ice cube problem). Your problem could
> very well be related to the force field, since I'm using G53a6 and
> you're probably using OPLS. Maybe the extra hydrogens are causing
> your troubles?

I recommend Langevin dynamics (sd) to avoid the flying ice cube and
related nonergodicity problems.

I'm using AMBER. Yes, there are extra hydrogens. Related? Not sure.

> I agree with you that the ideal soft-core parameters for decoupling
> LJ may not be so ideal for decoupling Coulomb, and that this can lead
> to convergence problems and wrong free energy results. In that case a
> separate decoupling of LJ and Coulomb forces in fact may be the best
> answer.

Right.

> Btw, David, are you still interested in feedback on your free energy
> tutorial, or do you consider that project finished? I used it as a
> starting point for my simulations and may have some interesting
> remarks and/or suggestions.

It's not done; I need to do a much more extensive one at some point. I
just put it up as a crude starting point. But feel free to send me
comments off list if you have anything to say in terms of
clarifications of the current one: I will be expanding it eventually,
but in the meantime I can fix errors in the existing one or clarify.

David