[gmx-users] forcefield problems - advice needed

Lubos Vrbka lists at vrbka.net
Sun Feb 4 15:54:30 CET 2007

hi guys,

for quite a long time i am trying to 'create' a forcefield for aliphatic
alcohols (right now, for ethanol) to use with a water potential we
employ in our simulations.

there is a problem - the water potential uses combination rule 2, so i
thought i would just try to use FFGMX and OPLS and change it a bit. it
didn't seem to work. i also tried the FFAMBER, that uses exactly this
combination rule. unfortunately, it fails as well.

i'm getting all sorts of errors - segfaults, lincs failures, ... in most
cases, the whole simulation 'freezes' (kinetic energy of order of 1e-5,
for example) and nothing happens. i am also quite frequently getting
close contacts between atoms (within one molecule, or between two
different molecules).

it seems i am missing something in the forcefield, but i am not able to
identify what is it... i would be very grateful if anyone of you could
help me and shed more light in this.

if anyone has working alcohol potential (united or all atom type) with
comb. rule 2, i would be more than happy, if you could share it with me...

also a 'side question' - when using FFAMBER, there are dihedrals defined
with all atom names specified (e.g., CT CT CT CT), and also dihedrals
with wildcards (X  CT CT X). for a CT-CT-CT-CT dihedrals, both of these
would be applicable - are they both used in the simulation, or does the
latter (X CT CT X) override the former definition (CT CT CT CT)?

once again, i would be very glad if anyone of you could help me. i went
through the manual many times, but i am becoming more and more confused...

i attach the files for a simulation that is failing for me. it's 2+2
pentanol molecules in a prismatic simulation box (i have it setup like
this because we are normally doing slab simulations). all necessary
files are included.

thanks. with best regards,
lubos