[gmx-users] clustering and representative structure

Nikos Sgourakis sgourn at rpi.edu
Sun Feb 4 18:51:00 CET 2007

Hello,

The most cited method on clustering is probably k-means. Although not
included in the current gromacs version, I have implemented it within
the gromacs gmx_cluster code and you can find it in the archives.
All of these methods (excluding principal components) can offer central
actual structures that are representative of your sample. Since there is
no "best" clustering but the output depends strongly on the distribution
of structures in your dataset, no method is guaranteed to find the most
representative structures. However, you can obtain a consensus of
structural features, through a comparison of the central structures from
different methods.
A very good reference on clustering is the book by J.A. Hartigan
"Clustering Algorithms".

Best regards,
Nikos Sgourakis