[gmx-users] low CPU load percentages on 16 core box with CentOS4.4

Makoto Yoneya yoneya at nanolc.jst.go.jp
Mon Feb 5 07:32:16 CET 2007

Dear users:

> > Well this looks like a classic problem of incompatibility of your
> > hardware and these lam versions that is not arising for MPICH. You
> > should look for help there, since the problem is not arising because of
> > gromacs - unless you can demonstrate lam works correctly on your
> > hardware for other parallel software.
>
> OK, I should check our installation of lam itself as suggested.

I'd checked our lam instillations with "lamtests" test suite from the
lam web page.
Both lam-7.0.6 and lam-7.1.2 installation on our 16 core box
with CentOS 4.4 were checked with lamtests-7.0.6 and -7.1.2
and some error reports were  generated (some compilations
of lamtests package themselves made errors).
I'd also tested the other 8 core box with SUSE9 with lamtests-7.1.2
and there were no errors (all lamtests were passed).
Then something wrong in our lam installation on the 16 core box with
CentOS 4.4.
I'd tested MPICH2 installation on the same 16 core box with
"make testing" function of MPICH2 and it passed all tests.
Anyway we'd better to use MPICH2 for this box.

Makoto Yoneya, Dr.
AIST, Japan