[gmx-users] problem still lies regarding dssp

sangeeta kundu sangeeta0983 at yahoo.co.in
Mon Feb 12 10:55:48 CET 2007

Dear Abu and Mark,

     You asked me, whether my computer is shared by many, it is not, I think the program was not hanged because while executing do_dssp -v as usual Gromacs output was given,

  ":-)  G  R  O  M  A  C  S  (-:

              GROningen Mixture of Alchemy and Childrens' Stories

                            :-)  VERSION 3.3.1  (-:

      Written by David van der Spoel, Erik Lindahl, Berk Hess, and others.
       Copyright (c) 1991-2000, University of Groningen, The Netherlands.
             Copyright (c) 2001-2006, The GROMACS development team,
            check out http://www.gromacs.org for more information.

         This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
          modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
         as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2
             of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

                               :-)  do_dssp  (-:

Option     Filename  Type         Description
  -f       traj.xtc  Input        Generic trajectory: xtc trr trj gro g96 pdb
  -s      topol.tpr  Input        Structure+mass(db): tpr tpb tpa gro g96 pdb
                                   xml
  -n      index.ndx  Input, Opt.  Index file
-ssdump  ssdump.dat  Output, Opt. Generic data file
-map         ss.map  Input, Lib.  File that maps matrix data to colors
  -o         ss.xpm  Output       X PixMap compatible matrix file
 -sc     scount.xvg  Output       xvgr/xmgr file
  -a       area.xpm  Output, Opt. X PixMap compatible matrix file
 -ta    totarea.xvg  Output, Opt. xvgr/xmgr file
 -aa   averarea.xvg  Output, Opt. xvgr/xmgr file

      Option   Type  Value  Description
      -[no]h   bool     no  Print help info and quit
      -[no]X   bool     no  Use dialog box GUI to edit command line options
       -nice    int     19  Set the nicelevel
          -b   time      0  First frame (ps) to read from trajectory
          -e   time      0  Last frame (ps) to read from trajectory
         -dt   time      0  Only use frame when t MOD dt = first time (ps)
         -tu   enum     ps  Time unit: ps, fs, ns, us, ms or s
      -[no]w   bool     no  View output xvg, xpm, eps and pdb files
   -[no]xvgr   bool    yes  Add specific codes (legends etc.) in the output
                            xvg files for the xmgrace program
        -sss string   HEBT  Secondary structures for structure count

"

  I changed the permission of   dsspcmbi and dsspcmbi.exe  files , what else  I should do? I mean execpt these two files what are the other files that need change of permission now these two files has read, write, and executable permission, Mark suggested  me to call dssp "by hand", will you please explain in more detail?? In order to get taht particular coloured map what procedure should I  adopt??

  regards
  SANGEETA
"Naser, Md Abu " <mn2 at hw.ac.uk> wrote:
      Hi Sangeeta,

Let me ask you few questions in order to solve the problem.

Are you sure your do_dssp prog were running or it was hanged?
To make sure please try using verbose output using -v option.

Is your computer shared among too many people?

What is the file permission status of dssp?

To find out use: ls -l /directory/where/you/put/dssp

If you see any restricton to file permission change it to

chmod a+rx dssp

Hope this will help.

Abu Naser

School Of Life Sciences