[gmx-users] 3xRe: Impact velocity

Janne Hirvi janne.hirvi at joensuu.fi
Thu Feb 22 09:36:43 CET 2007

Hello David and other gmx-experts!

I havent yet been able to extract thermal motion contribution for temperature
(without translation) even I tested trjconv with fit (translation) option as
you adviced. Actually, I was able to remove the center of mass translation of
the droplet (tested with g_traj -ox) but however analyze still gives the center
of mass velocity which contributes to temperature (g_traj with -ov and -ot)?

I am wondering how thermal motion contribution for temperature is extracted by
g_energy in case of acceleration combined with temperature coupling, while
g_traj seems to include also translational motion. At least g_traj temperature
is higher and almost equal to reference temperature + temperature increase due
to translational energy(0.5*m(total)*v(COM)^2)). So, I think g_traj temperature
is calculated directly from the velocities
(0.5*SUM(m(i)*v(i)^2)=0.5*N(df)*k*T), but are (1) these velocities scaled to
remove the center of mass velocity to get temperature given by g_energy or is
(2) translational energy contribution directly substracted from the total
kinetic energy? I tested the latter method and got pretty good agreement, but
not perfect, between g_energy and g_traj temperatures but is it the exact
method?

Thanks for your time,

Janne