[gmx-users] 3xRe: Impact velocity

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Thu Feb 22 11:27:12 CET 2007

Janne Hirvi wrote:
> Hello David and other gmx-experts!
>
> I havent yet been able to extract thermal motion contribution for temperature
> (without translation) even I tested trjconv with fit (translation) option as
> you adviced. Actually, I was able to remove the center of mass translation of
> the droplet (tested with g_traj -ox) but however analyze still gives the center
> of mass velocity which contributes to temperature (g_traj with -ov and -ot)?

Maybe trjconv does not modify the center of mass velocity.

What you can do is from your original trajectory calculate the center of
mass temperature with g_traj and subtract that from the normal T. You
may have to be careful with degrees of freedom.

> I am wondering how thermal motion contribution for temperature is extracted by
> g_energy in case of acceleration combined with temperature coupling, while
> g_traj seems to include also translational motion. At least g_traj temperature
> is higher and almost equal to reference temperature + temperature increase due
> to translational energy(0.5*m(total)*v(COM)^2)). So, I think g_traj temperature
> is calculated directly from the velocities
> (0.5*SUM(m(i)*v(i)^2)=0.5*N(df)*k*T), but are (1) these velocities scaled to
> remove the center of mass velocity to get temperature given by g_energy or is
> (2) translational energy contribution directly substracted from the total
> kinetic energy? I tested the latter method and got pretty good agreement, but
> not perfect, between g_energy and g_traj temperatures but is it the exact
> method?

g_energy does not do any processing of data, just reading the energy
file and printing it.
g_traj calculates T using above equation.

> Thanks for your time,
>
> Janne
>

>> Janne Hirvi wrote:
>>> Thanks for your quick replies David and Bob!
>>>
>>> I was icefishing all the weekend and wasnt able to comment on your
>> suggestions
>>> earlier but you are absolutely right that I should use NVE-ensemble and
>> not
>>> count overall center of mass (COM) velocity to temperature.
>>>
>>> NVT-ensemble was just used on testing purposes so that I could understand
>>> something what was happening but actual problem conserned temperature and
>>> velocities. If I generate extra velocity to the center of mass of the
>> droplet
>>> (in equilibrium at 300K) either by my own code or using accelerating
>> force,
>>> temperature analyze programs in Gromacs (g_energy and g_traj) show that
>>> temperature is much higher due to translation of COM. However, it would be
>> nice
>>> to somehow detect temperature due to only termal motions (without
>> translation)
>>> so that I could observe possible heat transfer in the collision and make
>> sure
>>> that there is no energy drift in NVE ensemble for other reasons (There will
>> be
>>> some problems while I have used plain cut-offs for LJ-interactions in
>> earlier
>>> NVT-simulations without impact velocity in other words just placing the
>> droplet
>>> on a surface).
>>>
>>> Any comments or is it the best option to extract COM velocity with g_traj
>> and
>>> just make own code which substracts this translational temperature from
>> total
>>> temperature?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Janne

>> that

>> temperature
>> temperature
>> take

>> You can take out the overall motion by trjconv using a fit.
>>
>> --
>> David.

David.
phone:	46 18 471 4205		fax: 46 18 511 755