[gmx-users] Installation/compilation problem ---v3.3.1

philippe ayala philippe.ayala at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 20:51:41 CEST 2007

Thanks Mark and Patrick for your prompt feedback.

I did look at hydration energies of small molecules and had no problem
reproducing the literature data.  That being said, i noticed recently that
all was not well in some runs.  I don't think it is a bug.  I am more
inclined to think that it is a compilation problem.

Let me expand a  little bit on the problem i'm experiencing with my
binaries.
The problem is as follows:  using g_analyze_d, the average of block averages
is not the same as the same as the overall average.  Getting a data average
should be easy enough, but it is not the case here.

Here is an example (see Details below):
from 0 to 1000ps ->g_analyze_d average is 1.634425e+03
from 1000 to 2000ps -> g_analyze_d average is 1.634059e+03
from 0 to 2000ps -> g_analyze_d average is 1.637816e+03   ---> a difference
of ~ 3kJ/mol compared with the 1ns blocks
 from 2000 to 4000 ps > g_analyze_d average is 1.637791e+03
from 0 to 4000ps -> g_analyze_d average is 1.620341e+03  --> a difference of
~ 17kJ/mol compared with the 2ns blocks

The difference in averages is about 3 kJ/mol for ~ 1million data points (2
blocks of 1000ps vs 1 block of 2000ps, dt=0.002) and 14-17 kJ/mol for ~2
million data points (2 blocks of 2000ps vs 1 block of 4000ps, dt=0.002 ).
This is much greater than the double counting of the 1000ps or 2000ps data
point would contribute.

Also, if i process xvg files with some of my own scripts/programs (perl or
double-precision fortran), i get:
from 0->4000ps -> average is  1634.2

Also, if i trim the xvg file (using grep '^\..000') to retain data points on
every other 0.1 ps or so, g_analyze_d gives an average of 1.634125e+03 over
the 4000ps run, which looks like the right answer this time.

This is all very perplexing.

Thanks
Philippe

-----Details----

$GROMACS/bin/g_analyze_d -f prod-path.6.coul.l0.5.sol.xvg -e 2000

Read 1 sets of 1000001 points, dt = 0.002

                                      std. dev.    relative deviation of
                       standard       ---------   cumulants from those of
set      average       deviation      sqrt(n-1)   a Gaussian distribition
                                                      cum. 3   cum. 4
SS1   1.637816e+03   3.406546e+01   3.406546e-02      -0.168   -0.012

 $GROMACS/bin/g_analyze_d -f prod-path.6.coul.l0.5.sol.xvg -b 2000 -e 4000

Read 1 sets of 1000001 points, dt = 0.002

                                      std. dev.    relative deviation of
                       standard       ---------   cumulants from those of
set      average       deviation      sqrt(n-1)   a Gaussian distribition
                                                      cum. 3   cum. 4
SS1   1.637791e+03   3.383955e+01   3.383955e-02      -0.154   -0.007

$GROMACS/bin/g_analyze_d -f prod-path.6.coul.l0.5.sol.xvg -e 4000
Read 1 sets of 2000001 points, dt = 0.002

                                      std. dev.    relative deviation of
                       standard       ---------   cumulants from those of
set      average       deviation      sqrt(n-1)   a Gaussian distribition
                                                      cum. 3   cum. 4
SS1   1.620341e+03   3.649526e+01   2.580605e-02       0.676    0.008

---Details end----