[gmx-users] fail to start ngmx!

Tengfei Luo luotengf at msu.edu
Tue Mar 20 17:13:10 CET 2007

Dear all:
I'm new in GROMACS and I encountered the following problem when I want running the demo. I don't have much knowledge of UNIX, could someone tell me how to solve this problem?

I shall greatly appreciate any help!

T.Luo
      :-)  G  R  O  M  A  C  S  (-:

                   Groningen Machine for Chemical Simulation

                            :-)  VERSION 3.3.1  (-:

      Written by David van der Spoel, Erik Lindahl, Berk Hess, and others.
       Copyright (c) 1991-2000, University of Groningen, The Netherlands.
             Copyright (c) 2001-2006, The GROMACS development team,
            check out http://www.gromacs.org for more information.

         This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
          modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
         as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2
             of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

                                :-)  ./ngmx  (-:

Option     Filename  Type         Description
  -f       traj.xtc  Input        Generic trajectory: xtc trr trj gro g96 pdb
  -s      topol.tpr  Input        Generic run input: tpr tpb tpa xml
  -n      index.ndx  Input, Opt.  Index file

      Option   Type  Value  Description
      -[no]h   bool     no  Print help info and quit
       -nice    int      0  Set the nicelevel
          -b   time      0  First frame (ps) to read from trajectory
          -e   time      0  Last frame (ps) to read from trajectory
         -dt   time      0  Only use frame when t MOD dt = first time (ps)

Can't connect to X Server.
Check your DISPLAY environment variable