[gmx-users] GROMACS Wiki

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Wed May 2 03:05:00 CEST 2007

Dallas B. Warren wrote:
> Have the developers thought of having a wiki set up for GROMACS?
>
> Then users out there not directly involved in the development could help
> to develop resources that should take care of many of the frequent
> questions people have, in an easy location.

It's a good idea, but I don't think it will help a great deal. The main
problem with frequently-occurring questions is that the askers haven't
read the manual, the man pages, the web page, the FAQ or searched the
mailing list archives. In context, a Wiki would just be one more thing
for them not to read :-) I remember back in December 2005 I posted about
40 times to the list, and over 30 of them suggested that someone needed
to read one or more of the above five sources of information. Nothing
much has changed since then...

That said, there are frequently occurring questions whose answers are in
the above documentation sources, but not easy (or apparently easy) to
find. It would be nice to be able to say when someone couples ions to
temperature baths independently "see
http://www.gromacs.org/wiki/should_i_couple_a_few_ions_to_a_heat_bath".
Also being able to put one's mailing list answer up there straight away
would be useful.

It does require someone to take some charge of the organisation of the
data on it, however.