[gmx-users] error estimates of free energy calculations

Berk Hess gmx3 at hotmail.com
Wed May 16 09:21:26 CEST 2007

>From: David van der Spoel <spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se>
>To: Discussion list for GROMACS users <gmx-users at gromacs.org>
>Subject: Re: [gmx-users] error estimates of free energy calculations
>Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 08:12:57 +0200
>-->
>Berk Hess wrote:
>>

>>>From: "David Mobley" <dmobley at gmail.com>
>>>To: "Discussion list for GROMACS users" <gmx-users at gromacs.org>
>>>Subject: Re: [gmx-users] error estimates of free energy calculations
>>>Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 15:55:01 -0700
>>>
>>>Jeroen,

>>>Whoops! Justifies my paranoia about using other people's analysis
>>>tools. :) The person responsible for the analysis tool should take a
>>>look at this -- if the tool does error analysis for the integral, it
>>>should do it properly.
>>
>>ah, g_analyze indeed seems to print an error estimate of the integral,
>>I didn't know about this.
>>But according to me this is totally wrong.
>>It divides the sum of variances by n-1, whereas this should be n^2.
>>
>>I'll fix it for the next release.
>>
>It is the standard deviation, rigth? Which is what the source code says it
>is...
>

>David.

I don't think the standard deviation of a integral has a meaning,
unless it means standard error...
The code sums the squares of the stddev's (thus the variance),
but without squaring the weights. This leads to a meaningless result.
And even then the endpoints are not correctly taken into account,
so one can not somehow simply correct the result.

As I said, I'll fix it this afternoon.
Currently I am at a conference.

Berk.