[gmx-users] how to calculate internal energy for energygroups?

Allen Smith easmith at beatrice.rutgers.edu
Tue Sep 4 13:03:08 CEST 2007

Any progress on this? (I note a prior discussion of the idea for a
"g_strain" program, under the subject line of "How to print out vdw-14
energy terms for each pair in minimization?") I have actually defined
energygrps for each charge group in each residue, via a script (which I will
forward if desired), via which (along with gmxdump) it appears possible to
get out coulomb and lennard-jones interactions (subdivided into 1-4 bonded
and short-range) between said energy groups - but gmxdump indicates that the
bond energy terms are still only present for the entire system. I'd like to
do something like putting a number proportional to the total energies (would
"Energy" or "Sum Energy" - for the final stage in a minimization - be more
appropriate?) into the temperature field of a PDB file. (I have also
considered the possibility of doing this with forces - I will try outputting
force terms seperately via mdrun -sepdvdl with my next minimization, and
will use mdrun -rerun -sepdvdl on earlier trajectory files if this is
helpful - but the summation of forces (e.g., an atom under vdw pressure from
"above" and "below") would appear likely to cancel out information of
interest.)

    Thanks,

    -Allen

P.S. In regard to my earlier thoughts on FFTW improvements - will try to
work on at some point, but am mainly working on Linux boxes at the moment so
this is less of a concern. I have also discovered exactly how fast GROMACS
is at doing minimization of even a well-solvated protein, which also
decreases this priority; very nice job, guys!

--
Allen Smith                       http://cesario.rutgers.edu/easmith/
February 1, 2003                               Space Shuttle Columbia