[gmx-users] Editing the log in files [HN]

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Dec 16 01:34:30 CET 2008

Hideya Nakamura wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I try to install GROMACS using Cygwin on my Windows PC.
>
> I have already installed fftw, and then I will install GROMACS based on
> a instruction on wiki.gromacs.org <http://wiki.gromacs.org/>
> (http://wiki.gromacs.org/index.php/Cygwin_HOWTO).
>
> In this instruction, there is a description "#6 Edit your login files to
> source /usr/local/gromacs/bin/GMXRC
>
> (or manually add /usr/local/gromacs/man to the MANPATH and check that
> /usr/local/bin is in the PATH)."
>
> However, I can't edit my log in files. Could someone give me how to edit
> my log in files by using Cygwin?

First, determine the shell you are using (bash, csh, etc) and then check which
files are present in your home directory (.profile, .bashrc, etc based on what
your shell environment is).  Then use an editor like vi or emacs (whichever was
installed when you built Cygwin) to edit the appropriate file.

-Justin

> Hideya Nakamura
>
> University of Florida
>
> Particle Engineering Research Center