[gmx-users] Editing the log in files [HN]

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Dec 16 19:45:54 CET 2008

Hideya Nakamura wrote:
> Thank you Justin for your prompt response.
>
> I installed Gromacs in the home directory of Cygwin.

Is that your home directory, or some Cygwin-related home?  I do not have my
Windows partition up in front of me; I just remember that Cygwin's organization
is a bit convoluted.

> Actually, I can't fine the bin subdirectory in the gromacs directory.
> (I also can't find GMXRC anywhere.)

Did you try "which luck" as I suggested before?  That should indicate where the
executables were installed.

> Does this mean Gromacs cannot be installed correctly?

Not necessarily.

> Do I have to install gromacs again?

What were you *exact* commands through the installation process?  If you did
indeed follow the Cygwin HowTo on the wiki, Gromacs should have been installed
in /usr/local/gromacs.  I doubt that your installation is broken, but you'll
have serious headaches if you don't familiarize yourself with the locations of
executables, libraries, and force field files.

-Justin

> Hideya
>

> 2008/12/16 Justin A. Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu <mailto:jalemkul at vt.edu>>
>

>     Hideya Nakamura wrote:
>
>         Hello Mark and Justin,
>
>         Thank you very much for your responce.
>         I edited the .bashrc file which is in my home directory.
>         I opened .bashrc file using vi and added "source
>         /usr/local/gromacs/bin/GMXRC" at the last line.
>         And then, I started Cygwin again. However, an error mesage
>         (bash: /usr/local/gromacs/bin/GMXRC: No such file or directory)
>         is showed when I start Cygwin. In addition, when I enter the
>         command "luck" for gromacs, I can't see the correct responce
>         (i.e. "Whatever Happened to Pong ?" (F. Black))
>         Could you please tell me your suggestion?
>         I am using Cygwin on Windows Vista Enterprise.
>

>     Where did you install Gromacs?  The GMXRC script should be in the
>     bin subdirectory of whatever prefix you specified during
>     configuration.  If your environment is finding luck, then try "which
>     luck" to locate the PATH to Gromacs.
>
>     -Justin
>

>         Hideya
>

>         2008/12/15 Mark Abraham <Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
>         <mailto:Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au> <mailto:Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
>         <mailto:Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au>>>
>

>            Hideya Nakamura wrote:
>
>                Hello,
>
>                I try to install GROMACS using Cygwin on my Windows PC.
>
>                I have already installed fftw, and then I will install
>         GROMACS
>                based on a instruction on wiki.gromacs.org
>         <http://wiki.gromacs.org>
>                <http://wiki.gromacs.org> <http://wiki.gromacs.org/>
>                (http://wiki.gromacs.org/index.php/Cygwin_HOWTO).
>

>                In this instruction, there is a description "#6 Edit your
>         login
>                files to source /usr/local/gromacs/bin/GMXRC
>
>                (or manually add /usr/local/gromacs/man to the MANPATH
>         and check
>                that /usr/local/bin is in the PATH)."
>
>                However, I can't edit my log in files. Could someone give
>         me how
>                to edit my log in files by using Cygwin?
>

>            Probably you're using bash shell, so in your home directory, edit
>            the file .bashrc and add the line "source
>            /usr/local/gromacs/bin/GMXRC" (or as appropriate for wherever you
>            installed GROMACS), and then open a new shell. This way the
>         GROMACS
>            environment will always be configured right for you.
>
>            Mark
>            posting!
>            Please don't post (un)subscribe requests to the list. Use the www
>            interface or send it to gmx-users-request at gromacs.org
>         <mailto:gmx-users-request at gromacs.org>
>            <mailto:gmx-users-request at gromacs.org
>         <mailto:gmx-users-request at gromacs.org>>.
>
>            Can't post? Read http://www.gromacs.org/mailing_lists/users.php

>         before posting!
>         Please don't post (un)subscribe requests to the list. Use the
> [...]

jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080