[gmx-users] MPI issue

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Thu Jan 17 08:45:51 CET 2008

Paul Whitford wrote:
> I am running gromacs on a machine with altivec support.  My
> understanding is I have to use MVAPICH on this machine.

There is no coupling between altivec and MPI varirant.

> I occasionally have runs crash and I receive the following error
>

> n559(0): Loaded with Money
>
> n536(14): 14 - MPI_ALLREDUCE : Null communicator
> n536(14): [14] [] Aborting Program!
> n559(0): 0 - MPI_ALLREDUCE : Null communicator
> n559(0): [0] [] Aborting Program!
> Cleaning up all processes ...Cleaning up all processes ...done.
>

> Does this indicate a problem with the machine, mvapich, or gromacs?
> Again, this doesn't always happen, just sometimes (which makes me
> suspect it is a machine issue).  Any advice on where the problem might
> be would be helpful.  thanks in advance.

If it is reproducible it could be MPI or GROMACS. I use openmpi, and
sometimes when I abort a job the next one will not start, but the one
after, due to some leftovers somewhere on the system.

Unless this is reproducible it is impossible to debug, otherwise it
could even be flaky hardware.

> -Paul

David van der Spoel, Ph.D.