[gmx-users] FEP trajectory errors

Maik Goette mgoette at mpi-bpc.mpg.de
Mon Jan 21 09:39:27 CET 2008

Robert

A value for alpha of 0.5 should work, although I tested some different
alphas with different test systems and I have to say, that a proper
value can be between 0.2 and 0.7 depending on the system itself.
The distortion, you describe is really strange. I calculated DNA and
single bases a lot and never saw something like that. Even a fully
"dummy-base" is stable, if your topology is correct. The bonded terms
are sufficient to keep it in the right conformation.
Are you sure, your position restrains in the topology are used with the
correct structure file?

Maybe, I should also mention, that, especially with such large
perturbations as a full DNA-base, you should split your topology into 2,
where you switch off the QQ hardcore and the VdW softcore in two steps.

Regards

Maik Goette, Dipl. Biol.
Theoretical & computational biophysics department
Am Fassberg 11
37077 Goettingen
Germany
Tel.  : ++49 551 201 2310
Fax   : ++49 551 201 2302
Email : mgoette[at]mpi-bpc.mpg.de
         mgoette2[at]gwdg.de
WWW   : http://www.mpibpc.gwdg.de/groups/grubmueller/

Robert Johnson wrote:
> Thank you David and Maik for your detailed replies. Yes, I am trying
> to obtain an absolute free energy of binding. My thermodynamic cycle
> is:
>
> NT+DNA(adsorbed) -> NT+ DNA(desorbed)  (obviously this is not the one
> that I'm obtaining with the alchemic method)
>
> Thus, the one I'm using in the simulation is:
>
> Water + NT + DNA(adsorbed) -> Water + NT + nothing (DNA dissapears)
> Water + DNA -> Water + nothing
>
> Any suggestions about this? I will check out your recent publications.
>
> I believe my topology is properly formatted. I wasn't expecting the
> large distortions because I was using position restraints. Thus, I was
> expecting the base to remain in about the same geometry. Perhaps I
> will increase the force constant for the restraining potential.
>
> I am going to repeat some of these computations using sc_alpha=0.5.
>
> Thanks for your help.
> Bob
>
> On Jan 17, 2008 2:24 PM, David Mobley <dmobley at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Robert,
>>
>>> I'm computing the free energy of binding of a DNA base on a carbon
>>> nanotube. I think it's a pretty simple calculation and I'm proceeding
>>> in a very standard way. This is what I'm doing:
>> An absolute free energy? This isn't necessarily straightforward --
>> there are a lot of wrinkles. Some of my recent work has some
>> discussions if this if it's helpful.
>>
>>> I have the optimal orientation of the base on the nanotube. I'm
>>> constraining the positions of the base atoms with a soft harmonic
>>> potential.
>> OK, that's a good idea for standard state reasons (see the 2003
>> Boresch paper) among other things.
>>
>>> I then am running two different FEP calculations: one where I turn off
>>> the charges on the base atoms and a second where I then turn off all
>>> the lennard-jones parameters for the base atoms. For each of these I
>>> use the following:
>>> delta_lambda = 0
>>> sc_alpha = 0.7
>>> sc_power = 1