[gmx-users] deshuf.ndx doesn't work for forces?

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Thu Jan 24 18:28:47 CET 2008

> Message: 2
> Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 18:56:22 -0500
> From: LuLanyuan <lulanyuan at msn.com>
> Subject: [gmx-users] deshuf.ndx doesn't work for forces?
> To: <gmx-users at gromacs.org>
>

> Hello All,
> I found sth like a bug regarding the deshuffle index file. I did a
> simulation using multiple cpus and -sort -shuffle options. After
> that I tried to use the deshuf.ndx file to recover the original atom
>  order for my trr file by trjconv -n deshuf.ndx ... command.

As I understand it, the deshuf.ndx file does not allow you to desort,
merely to deshuffle.

> But by checking the output trr using the gmxdump, I found the oders
> of x  and v were deshuffled while the f oder remained unchanged. In
> another word the values of forces were not consistent with those of
> positions and velocities in the new trr file.
> Is this a bug?

So the order of the positions and velocities has changed, but are they
correct? I do not believe that gromacs 3.3.1 is capable of desorting,
nor is it supported. I have uploaded a tool called g_desort to the
users contribution section. It works well and is tested, but it's
usage is complicated when you want to load in .trr files via grompp.

> And is there anyway to get the correct oder for forces also?

I suggest that you try to reproduce this problem while using -shuffle
but not -sort.