[gmx-users] Atom names mismatch

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Fri May 30 07:06:07 CEST 2008

George Abadir wrote:
> Thank you very much for your reply. Actually I ran the whole simulations
> (1000000 time steps), and the system did not crash. The molecule still

I'm extremely surprised. Perhaps bond constrains on all atoms were your
friends here. :-) Nonetheless, it seems likely from the mismatches that
some incorrect van der Waals models were applied.

> has the structure of phenylalanine. Does this mean that the final
> coordinates are ok, or should I redo the simulation again after
> resorting the atoms.

Without understanding the reason for the mismatch, you can't say the
simulation is OK with certainty. It looks like the phenylalanine
structure you generated for the simulation ordered its atoms differently
from the one you used to generate its topology. If you go and re-order
the atoms in the structure file according to the topology file, you
should see these warnings go away, and now you can be confident a
resulting simulation is OK. I wouldn't trust the first one, though.