[gmx-users] 1-4 interaction at distance larger than 1

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Aug 3 18:12:23 CEST 2009

Yi Hou wrote:
> Dear Justin
> Thank you very much
> My commands are:
> 1. add hydrogens, get top and gro files
> pdb2gmx -f 1z92.pdb -o 1z92.gro -p 1z92.top

If I'm not mistaken, 1z92 has substantial stretches of missing residues, and you
probably had to model them in.  I'd look at those regions as being potentially
problematic.

> 2. specify the box size, and add water to the system
> editconf -f 1z92.gro -bt cubic -d 0.7 -o box.gro
> genbox -cp box.gro -cs spc216.gro -p 1z92.top -o sol.gro
>
> 3. grommpp -f em.mdp -p 1z92.top -c sol.gro -o em.tpr then found the system
> is charge -3
>
> 4. add 3NA+ ions in the SOL system
> genion -s em.tpr -p 1z92.tpr -p 1z92.top -o sol_ion.gro -pname NA+ -np 3
> -nname CL- -nn 0 -random
>
> 5. perform the energy minimization simulation
> grompp -f em.mdp -p 1z92.top -o sol_ion.gro -o em.tpr
> mdrun -deffnm em -v
>
> Those commands until now then I should do position constraints and equil
> simulations with my pr.mdp and md.mdp parameters.
> I will check my .log file again to see if any errors occur

I'd stop and diagnose why the minimization failed.  If you can't finish EM,
there is no point in running any sort of dynamics, equilibration or otherwise.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar