[gmx-users] Re: MD Simulation Errors for Ethylene Glycol-Water System

Bruce D. Ray brucedray at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 5 15:13:17 CEST 2009

On Tuesday, August 4, 2009, at 6:30:57 PM, Nancy <nancy5villa at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am trying to simulate a simple system of ethylene
glycol (ethane-1,2-diol) solvated in a water box.
> I converted the pdb
file to a mol2 file and used topolbuild 1.2.1 to generate topology
files:

> $ topolbuild -n ethanediol -dir .../topolbuild1_2_1/dat/gromacs -ff gmx53a6

I prefer to use an absolute reference to the parameters directory, but
I also have my molecules files in directories outside of the topolbuild
directory.

> I the used editconf to enlarge the box.  I then solvated the molecule using the following command:

I presume that you checked the topology produced to be sure that parameters
were found for all atoms, bonds, angles, dihedrals, and impropers in the molecule
before proceeding.  This is always a necessary step with any automatic topology
generation program because the force field chosen might not have parameters
for everything in your molecule.  (In this case, I believe that ethylene glycol
should not present any problems, but always checking the topology generated
is a good habit to develop.)

> $ genbox -cp ethanediol_box.gro -cs spc216.gro -o ethanediol_solv.gro -box 3 3 3 -p ethanediol.top
>
> where "ethanediol_box.gro" is the structure of the molecule.  I used grompp to generate the mdrun input file:
>
> $ grompp -f grompp.mdp -c ethanediol_solv.gro -p ethanediol.top -o ethanediol.tpr
>
> grompp.mdp is the following:

> title                    = Ethanediol
> cpp                      = /lib/cpp
> include                  = -I../top
> define                   =
> integrator               = md
> dt                       = 0.002
> nsteps                   = 50000
> nstxout                  = 1
> nstvout                  = 5

nstlog                   = 5
> nstenergy                = 10
> nstxtcout                = 1
> xtc_grps                 = EDO  SOL
> energygrps               = EDO  SOL
> nstlist                  = 10
> ns_type                  = grid

rlist                    = 0.8

rlist seems short to me.  Probably ought to use at least 1.0

> coulombtype              = cut-off

Its best to use PME with topolbuild generated topologies.

> rcoulomb                 = 1.4
> rvdw                     = 0.8

rvdw is too small.  Probably ought to be 1.2 to 1.4

> tcoupl                   = Berendsen
> tc-grps                  = EDO  SOL
> tau_t                    = 0.1  0.1

ref_t                    = 300  300
> Pcoupl                   = Berendsen
> tau_p                    = 1.0
> compressibility          = 4.5e-5
> ref_p                    = 1.0
> gen_vel                  = yes
> gen_temp                 = 300

gen_seed                 = 173529
> constraints              = all-bonds
>
> where "EDO" refers to ethylene glycol.  grompp creates several notes:
>
> NOTE 1 [file grompp.mdp, line unknown]:

  The Berendsen thermostat does not generate the correct kinetic energy
>   distribution. You might want to consider using the V-rescale thermostat.

Something to think about.

> NOTE 2 [file grompp.mdp, line unknown]:
>   You are using a plain Coulomb cut-off, which might produce artifacts.

  You might want to consider using PME electrostatics.

> NOTE 3 [file grompp.mdp, line unknown]:
>   This run will generate roughly 2500 Mb of data

That is a large amount of data.  Perhaps make nstxout larger.
Also, this looks like a production simulation.  I presume you did
an energy minimization step and a position restrained equilibration
before this, but you did not show us anything about these.  Did they
have any errors?

> I then run the simulation:
>
> $ mdrun -s ethanediol.tpr -o traj.trr -x traj.xtc -v
>
> However mdrun produces several errors and warnings:
>
> t = 0.036 ps: Water molecule starting at atom 2659 can not be settled.
> Check for bad contacts and/or reduce the timestep.
> Wrote pdb files with previous and current coordinates
>
> t = 0.038 ps: Water molecule starting at atom 2659 can not be settled.
> Check for bad contacts and/or reduce the timestep.
> Wrote pdb files with previous and current coordinates
>
> t = 0.040 ps: Water molecule starting at atom 2659 can not be settled.

Check for bad contacts and/or reduce the timestep.
> Wrote pdb files with previous and current coordinates
>
> Step 21  Warning: pressure scaling more than 1%, mu: 1.0372 1.0372 1.0372
>
> Step 29, time 0.058 (ps)  LINCS WARNING

relative constraint deviation after LINCS:
> rms 2.714709, max 3.541824 (between atoms 2 and 3)
> bonds that rotated more than 30 degrees:
>  atom 1 atom 2  angle  previous, current, constraint length
>       1      4   88.8    0.6606   0.6855      0.1520
>       2      3   90.6    0.4305   0.4542      0.1000
>       1      2   89.2    0.6123   0.4690      0.1435
>       5      6   93.4    0.4193   0.1741      0.1000
>       4      5   89.2    0.6156   0.5033      0.1435

===================================

It is blowing up.  Did you see anything in the energy minimization or the
position restrained equilibration steps that seemed unusual?

am not sure where the errors are occuring (I am also wondering if the
absence of
> explicit non-polar hydrogens in the .gro files are
relevant).  Please adivse.

Gromacs force fields are united atom force fields.  As such, explicit non-polar hydrogens
are supposed to be removed.

I hope these few remarks help.

Sincerely,

--