[gmx-users] Re: MD Simulation Errors for Ethylene Glycol-Water System

Nancy nancy5villa at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 21:06:37 CEST 2009

Hello,

I have energy minimised my ethylene glycol system.  I try to run position
restrained equilibration with constant volume and temperature on it with the
following .mdp file:

title        = Ethanediol equilibration 1
define        = -DPOSRES
; Run parameters
integrator    = md
nsteps        = 5000
dt        = 0.0002
; Output control
nstxout        = 10
nstvout        = 10
nstenergy    = 10
nstlog        = 10
; Bond parameters
continuation    = no
constraint_algorithm = lincs
constraints    = all-angles
lincs_iter    = 1
lincs_order    = 4
; Neighborsearching
ns_type        = grid
nstlist        = 5
rlist        = 1.0
rcoulomb    = 1.0
rvdw        = 1.3
; Electrostatics
coulombtype    = PME
pme_order    = 4
fourierspacing    = 0.16
; Temperature coupling is on
tcoupl        = V-rescale
tc-grps        = EDO SOL
tau_t        = 0.1 0.1
ref_t        = 300 300
; Pressure coupling is off
pcoupl        = no
; Periodic boundary conditions
pbc        = xyz
; Dispersion correction
DispCorr    = EnerPres
; Velocity generation
gen_vel        = yes
gen_temp    = 300
gen_seed    = -1

and the following position restraint file:

[ position_restraints ]
; atom  type      fx      fy      fz
     1     1  1000  1000  1000
     2     1  1000  1000  1000
     4     1  1000  1000  1000
     5     1  1000  1000  1000

I ran the equilibration with the command:

$ grompp -f nvt.mdp -c em.gro -p ethanediol.top -o nvt.tpr

where "em.gro" is the output coordinates of the minimisation, and
"ethanediol.top" is the topology of the system.  I then run the
equilibration with the following command:

$ mdrun -v -deffnm nvt

The system was "blowing up", and mdrun would not complete the equilbration.
I tried decreasing dt, and although mdrun finishes without error, the output
trajectory (viewed through ngmx) shows that the system has "blown up".
Additionally, the structure of the ethanediol solute seems to be incorrect
throughout the equilbration.

I am unsure what is going wrong, please help.

Thank you.

Nancy