[gmx-users] Re: MD Simulation Errors for Ethylene Glycol-Water System

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Aug 5 22:03:29 CEST 2009

Nancy wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have energy minimised my ethylene glycol system.  I try to run
> position restrained equilibration with constant volume and temperature
> on it with the following .mdp file:

> title        = Ethanediol equilibration 1
> define        = -DPOSRES
> ; Run parameters
> integrator    = md
> nsteps        = 5000
> dt        = 0.0002

5000 steps * 0.0002 ps/step = 1 ps.  I doubt that length of time is sufficient
to equilibrate even the simplest system.

<snip>

> rlist        = 1.0
> rcoulomb    = 1.0
> rvdw        = 1.3

If you're still using Gromos96, I'd suggest you read the original derivation of
the force field to get the correct values for these parameters, most notably rvdw.

<snip>

> I ran the equilibration with the command:
>
> $ grompp -f nvt.mdp -c em.gro -p ethanediol.top -o nvt.tpr
>
> where "em.gro" is the output coordinates of the minimisation, and
> "ethanediol.top" is the topology of the system.  I then run the
> equilibration with the following command:

You haven't told us much about the energy minimization.  What Fmax and Epot did
your system converge to?  Do you believe those values to be acceptable?

> $ mdrun -v -deffnm nvt
>
> The system was "blowing up", and mdrun would not complete the
> equilbration.  I tried decreasing dt, and although mdrun finishes
> without error, the output trajectory (viewed through ngmx) shows that
> the system has "blown up".  Additionally, the structure of the
> ethanediol solute seems to be incorrect throughout the equilbration.

Have you corrected for periodicity effects?  The trajectory will look scrambled
if any molecules cross periodic boundaries.

Beyond this, I doubt anyone can provide any magical insights into what's going
wrong without a better description of what "incorrect" means in the context of
the structure.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate