[gmx-users] .top file from .gro file

sunny mishra mishra.sunny at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 00:30:25 CEST 2009

Hi Justin,

Thanks for the reply and here is the following which I am doing. I would
appreciate if you can point out my errors.

1) I am working on 1K4C (KcSA) and i downloaded that from www.pdb.org and
after that I cleaned the PBD file, removed all the HETATOMS and ATOMS with
ligand A & B and also removed the TER atoms. So my cleaned PDB file i.e.
(1K4C_clean.pdb) consists of atoms with ligands C and #of atoms are 765.

2) After getting the 1K4C_clean.pdb I converted the atomic structure to CG
structure using awk script...something like this

awk -f atom2cg.awk 1K4C_clean.pdb > 1K4C_cleanCG.pdb

3) Then I got the sequence of 1K4C_clean.pdb using vmd and saved that as
1K4C_clean.txt and with the help of the following command I got the .seq
file...

grep -A 1 1K4C_clean 1K4C_clean.txt > 1K4C_clean.seq

4) Then using dssp I got the .ssd file for 1K4C_clean.pdb....

dsspcmbi 1K4C_clean.pdb 1K4C_clean.dssp
dssp2ssd.py 1K4C_clean.dssp -o 1K4C_clean.ssd

5) After preparing the secondary structure files I generated the MARTINI
topology files like this :

seq2itp.pl 1K4C_clean.seq 1K4C_clean.ssd > 1K4C_clean.itp

6) The next step is to make the topology file and I made like this.....

; Include Martini Topology
#include "martini_v2.1.itp"

; Include protein topology
#include "1K4C_clean.itp"

[ system ]
; Name
Membrane Protein

[ molecules ]
; compound       #mols
Protein            1

7) Then I made the .gro file using genbox.....

genbox -cp 1K4C_cleanCG.pdb -box 10 10 10 -o 1K4C_cleanCG.gro

(In the previous email as you said that I need to make the .gro file of CG
structure of protein so I used 1K4C_cleanCG.pdb)

8) Now I want to minimize the system.....

grompp -f em.mdp -c 1K4C_cleanCG.gro -p 1K4C_clean.top -maxwarn 10

and then error comes...........

:-)  G  R  O  M  A  C  S
(-:

                   GROningen MAchine for Chemical Simulation

                            :-)  VERSION 4.0.5  (-:

      Written by David van der Spoel, Erik Lindahl, Berk Hess, and others.
       Copyright (c) 1991-2000, University of Groningen, The Netherlands.
             Copyright (c) 2001-2008, The GROMACS development team,
            check out http://www.gromacs.org for more information.

         This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
          modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
         as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2
             of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

                                :-)  grompp  (-:

Option     Filename  Type         Description
  -f         em.mdp  Input, Opt!  grompp input file with MD parameters
 -po      mdout.mdp  Output       grompp input file with MD parameters
  -c 1K4C_cleanCG.pdb  Input        Structure file: gro g96 pdb tpr tpb tpa
  -r       conf.gro  Input, Opt.  Structure file: gro g96 pdb tpr tpb tpa
 -rb       conf.gro  Input, Opt.  Structure file: gro g96 pdb tpr tpb tpa
  -n      index.ndx  Input, Opt.  Index file
  -p 1K4C_clean.top  Input        Topology file
 -pp  processed.top  Output, Opt. Topology file
  -o      topol.tpr  Output       Run input file: tpr tpb tpa
  -t       traj.trr  Input, Opt.  Full precision trajectory: trr trj cpt
  -e       ener.edr  Input, Opt.  Energy file: edr ene

Option       Type   Value   Description
-[no]h       bool   no      Print help info and quit
-nice        int    0       Set the nicelevel
-[no]v       bool   yes     Be loud and noisy
-time        real   -1      Take frame at or first after this time.
-[no]rmvsbds bool   yes     Remove constant bonded interactions with virtual
                            sites
-maxwarn     int    10      Number of allowed warnings during input
processing
-[no]zero    bool   no      Set parameters for bonded interactions
without
                            defaults to zero instead of generating an
error
-[no]renum   bool   yes     Renumber atomtypes and minimize number
of

atomtypes

Ignoring obsolete mdp entry 'title'
Ignoring obsolete mdp entry 'cpp'
Replacing old mdp entry 'unconstrained_start' by 'continuation'

Back Off! I just backed up mdout.mdp to ./#mdout.mdp.8#
checking input for internal consistency...

NOTE 1 [file em.mdp, line unknown]:
  For energy conservation with switch/shift potentials, rlist should be 0.1
  to 0.3 nm larger than rcoulomb.

NOTE 2 [file em.mdp, line unknown]:
  For energy conservation with switch/shift potentials, rlist should be 0.1
  to 0.3 nm larger than rvdw.

processing topology...
Generated 0 of the 465 non-bonded parameter combinations
Excluding 1 bonded neighbours molecule type 'Protein'

NOTE 3 [file 1K4C_clean.top, line 15]:
  System has non-zero total charge: 2.000000e+00

processing coordinates...

Program grompp, VERSION 4.0.5
Source code file: grompp.c, line: 362

Fatal error:
number of coordinates in coordinate file (1K4C_cleanCG.pdb, 209)
             does not match topology (1K4C_clean.top, 216)

I don't know where I have done the mistake...your help will be highly
appreciable in this case.

Thanks a lot,

Sunny