[gmx-users] Problem with running MD

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Aug 20 19:29:04 CEST 2009

Lili Peng wrote:
> Hi Justin,
>
> I do not think that the storage space is an issue because I had
> submitted another job to the queue (system of one molecule) yesterday,
> and it's almost near completion.  My xtc file is ~4700 kB, trr file is
> ~22MB, and tpr file ~130MB.  I've also checked my *.log files and
> nothing seems alarming.
>
> Is there anything else I should look into to figure out what is causing
> my system to stall?

Your one-molecule system is likely to be substantially smaller than an
11-molecule system in a 50-nm cubic (solvated!) box, so file sizes of
trajectories from the one-molecule system are meaningless.  If your .tpr file is
130 MB, then your trajectories are undoubtedly going to be larger, even many GB;
did grompp warn you about how much data would be output?  How large are the
files from your 11-molecule system at the time when output stopped?

If there are no signs of a crash whatsoever, then I still strongly suspect
storage limits might be the problem.

-Justin

jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080