[gmx-users] Re: Re: Pull to separate dimer

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sun Aug 23 03:00:19 CEST 2009

Ragnarok sdf wrote:

> Hi  Justin.
>  So for each window, I would turn pull_rate to zero in order to get a
> system in equilibrium?

Yes, I believe that is correct.  The umbrella potential is used to restrain the
configuration within a given window.

> And then the lambda value would be equal to each of the sampling distances?

I do not understand how the free energy code is related to the pull code.  I
have been doing my data collection simply with independent umbrella sampling
simulations.

> How would I justify using this pull_rate and pull_k1 values in order to
> obtain my pulling trajectory? i.e. is there somekind of standard, or
> would I need to rely on certain parameters, like rmsf of my protein or
> area per lipid?

Search the literature for relevant values; somewhere between 0.01 - 0.05 nm/ps
for a pull rate seems to be the consensus.  I have seen wide ranges for the
force constant; I don't know what the consensus is there, if there is one.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar