[gmx-users] Something about getting started

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Aug 24 18:41:00 CEST 2009

DreamCatcher wrote:
> Dear gmx-users,
>       I am a freshman of gmx and I wanna use gromacs for
> polyvinyl-alcohol simulation.But I don't even know how to start it.

Then start simple with some tutorial material:

http://oldwiki.gromacs.org/index.php/Tutorials

>       Is it necessary to start my simulation with a .pdb files?If

You need some sort of structure to start with; .pdb files are generally the
starting point.

> so,What should I do before this?I can make an pdb file for a chain of
> syndiotatic polyvinyl-alcohols via Material Studio or some other
> packages,but the residue cann't be recognize,so I have to modify some
> top files to correct it.I just modify the .hdb and rtp files endeavor to
> make it.But it seems not an easy work.

Indeed, it is not.  I again suggest you start with some basic tutorials with
robust systems so you learn the workflow of a Gromacs simulation.  Once you've
got a handle on how everything flows, then attempt your system.

For polymers, you may find this thread useful:

http://oldwww.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-users/2009-March/040125.html

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate