[gmx-users] any chance to write avoid writing out trr but only xtc file ?

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Wed Dec 2 15:17:00 CET 2009

We have the same desire on a large cluster in order to reduce the
number of file operations overall. In addition to Xavier's suggestion,
you can also write your .trr to memory:
mdrun -deffnm xx -t /dev/shm/xx.trr
or to the local disk:
mdrun -deffnm xx -t ${TMPDIR}/xx.trr
if those exist and depending on your architecture. Contact your
sysadmin for the best option here... just be sure to rm -f your
unwanted .trr.

While I agree that the ability to not create the .trr at all or to
write the .trr to /dev/null would be ideal, that appears to be
incompatible with the automated file name extension determination and
the provided solution will probably be just as fast.

Chris.