[gmx-users] Reducing Standard Error output

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Sun Dec 6 01:46:40 CET 2009

Jack Shultz wrote:
> Even though I can sucessfully run this when I remove the verbose flag,
> it causes another problem. We keep trac of the progress of indivual
> simulations using a code modfication in sim_util.c
>
> 124:      f = fopen("progress.txt", "w");
> 125-      if (!f) return;
> 126-      fprintf(f, "%g", (step - ir->init_step) / (float) ir->nsteps);
> 127-      fclose(f);
>
> Apparently this code is only used if the app is in verbose mode. So I
> guess we have two choices:
> 1) either find the cause of the lincs warnings

That is always necessary if you don't want an expensive random number
generator. Your simulation system is ill conditioned, and the lincs
warnings will exist and be reported in at least the .log file regardless
of the verbosity.

> 2) modify the code so it reports progress regardless of verbose flag

Sure, but that's independent of the former. You should consider other
modifications too - opening and closing a file every integration step
might be prohibitively expensive. Since from previous threads you're
monitoring this progress file with some other process to report to the
user, you should consider more efficient means of such communication,
such as an inter-process socket.

Mark