[gmx-users] Check for bad contacts and/or reduce the timestep

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Wed Dec 16 23:34:10 CET 2009

I believe that Justin was suggesting that you move in the opposite
direction than to delete some waters.

The number density for water should be about 32.5 waters per cubic
nanometer, meaning that you should have nearly 1E6 water molecules in
a cubic box with sides of 31 nm, and 1095 water molecules should have
a box of 33.7 nm^3 (cubic box with sides of 3.23 nm). I suppose that
the actual values that you should expect will be slightly lower
densities because you are not using pbc. And if Justin was right that
you are reporting angstroms in place of nm, then this makes some sense.

Still, I can't see how genbox could lead to a box with a density that
is too high -- usually it is somewhat too low. I suggest that you
diagnose the source of your problem since while simply removing some
randomly selected waters appears to have worked for you this time,
that would not be a preferable solution to apply to a system any more
complex than a single methane in a box of water.

Chris.