[gmx-users] Frequency confout is updated

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Thu Dec 17 02:52:45 CET 2009

You could also have a script that you optimize for your specific
system that knows the number of frames in the xtc based on the file
size and then trjconv -dump when your .xtc-polling script sees that it
has been updated? Your visualization program could then update based
on the output pdb.

I realize that this may create unnecessarily large .xtc files -- yet
another reason to desire the ability for mdrun to concurrently write a
secondary .xtc file that contains only a .ndx-defined subset of the
system (in addition to the regular full atom .xtc). Still, you could
cycle your mdrun and periodically purge the unnecessarily verbose .xtc
that you use mostly for visualization.

Chris.

Jack Shultz wrote:
> I guess I misinterpreted the description. I take it there is no built
> in mechanism to periodically write the structure.

There is :-) Trajectory output and checkpoint output.

> Maybe I could revise
> the source code to write the structure at every checkpoint?

Sure. That's what I was suggesting with my final comment. Find the
output mechanism that is used by -c and adapt it for use at the checkpoints.

Mark