[gmx-users] LIE precision and accuracy

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Thu Dec 17 22:39:11 CET 2009

In spite of the fact that I have never used g_lie, I have used a
variety of different techniques to calculate binding free energies,
and I would be astounded if it was possible to get the precision that
you desire with only 1 ns of sampling per state. Are you sure that the
reported imprecision is different from the actual imprecision obtained
via 1 ns of sampling? Generally, one evaluates the convergence by
block averaging or some other convergence indicator. If you do find a
measure by which your precision is reported to be very good, then I
would suspect that your sampling is trapped and that your free
energies are not accurate in any event. In short, I think that your
comment about "rendering the energy difference meaningless" is
actually quite astute.

Chris.