[gmx-users] error with changing pdb file

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Dec 18 01:27:06 CET 2009

ksm tprk wrote:
> Hello Justin,
>

> I looked at in my gromacs/3.3.1 and it ahs only ffgmx.n2t force field
> file. because of that, I chaged to new version gromacs.
> I tried to use different force filed but new version gromacs but they
> didn't work.
> I used gromacs/4.0.5 and I created .gro and by using x2top but it give
> below errors. If I use pdb2gmx, it gives me residue UNK error.
> First I used "GROMOS96 53a5 force field (JCC 2004 vol 25 pag 1656)" but
> it gave me below error:
>

> Can not find forcefield for atom C-1597 with 3 bonds
> Can not find forcefield for atom C-1598 with 3 bonds
> Can not find forcefield for atom C-1599 with 2 bonds
> Can not find forcefield for atom C-1600 with 2 bonds

> Program x2top_mpi, VERSION 4.0.5
> Source code file: x2top.c, line: 207
>
> Fatal error:
> Could only find a forcefield type for 0 out of 1600 atoms
>

> After that I used "OPLS-AA/L all-atom force field (2001 aminoacid
> dihedrals)" and it gave me:
>

> Looking whether force field files exist
> Opening library file /opt/apps/gromacs/4.0.5/share/gromacs/top/ffoplsaa.rtp
> Opening library file ffoplsaa.n2t
> Opening library file ffoplsaa.n2t
> There are 25 name to type translations
> Generating bonds from distances...
> atom 1600
> Can not find forcefield for atom N-25 with 3 bonds

> Program x2top_mpi, VERSION 4.0.5
> Source code file: x2top.c, line: 207
>
> Fatal error:
> Could only find a forcefield type for 1599 out of 1600 atoms
>

> And I tried "[DEPRECATED] Gromacs force field (see manual)" and "Encad
> all-atom force field, using scaled-down vacuum charges". they gave me
> same error at first.

The 4.0.5 version of x2top is broken unless you use the -nopbc option, which,
for the purposes of carbon nanotubes, is useless unless you specify all the
cross-boundary bonded terms yourself.

You had a functional topology before, why are you starting over?  You didn't
give a very clear description of the changes you were making that were inducing
the grompp errors, and you stand a better chance of identifying those problems
and solving them if you provide the information I asked for last time (relevant
topology lines and the corresponding coordinate entries).

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar